Monday 28 May 2012

A Year Ago Today

I'm sorry it's been sometime before posting another song. I have been busy with uni work and all. The song this week is a holy song it came to me a year on from my Nan's passing. I remember sitting in my bedroom when suddenly this song hit me. The song speaks about a person's first encounter with God after passing, in it God is portrayed as very welcoming and human. Of course there is no fact behind the exact story of the song, I guess the only way we will truly know how we are greeted in Heaven will be when we get there, however the story is a nice one which speaks of finding peace after death.


A year ago today God showed her round his place,
He took her by the hand as they wondered through his lands,
He said “you’re welcome now you’ve been gone far too long,
No more running round, no more hurt at all”.


“This is where you’ll stay I hope you settle in,
If you need anything at all don’t be afraid to ask me”,
He showed her many things; he taught her how to fly,
He gave her angel wings and said go ride the sky.


The place was full of people she swore she’d seen before
She saw her mama and her papa and Christ the son of God.
The meadows were filled with chatter and there was laughter that scoured the land
While the children played with each other, the lion walked with the man.


A year ago today God told her of the light,
He said “pull up a chair cos’ you’ll be here some time”.
They talked about many things, she told him about her life,
She laughed and cried with him and walked away with a smile.

And as she walked away he said "just before I go,
You know you’ve done me proud my girl welcome home”.

Karl Smitherman © 2011 published 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment