Sunday 13 May 2012

What's in store for me?

This song is not complete, it has been in the works for nearly three years, half the time sitting on a shelf. I started penning this song when I was about to leave my home in Kent to move to Guildford for uni. I had not a penny to my name, a deposit to place on a house and two weeks of living before my student loan came through.

The song talks about making the next move in life, moving into the next chapter. It speaks of following Jesus through it all. It speaks of the badness and temptations in life (The fruit on the tree in Adam and Eve) and talks about war (the fall of Jericho) but after this it mentions the goodness that God can do (such as tame the lions for Daniel or calming the sea for Jesus) and finally it talks about being saved (Moses splitting the sea and Jesus dying for our sins). Looking back on the song I see it as the journey through life, how sometimes we are led astray into darkness, sometimes we are bound in goodness, but no matter what God is there for us and will save us.

Verse 1
Rest my head upon your shoulder
rest my heart upon your sleeve
I'm no saint was born a sinner
follow the one from Galilee

Verse 2
I have walked on many miles
I have yet got far to go
I've been kicked out of my hometown
and I have felt many a stone

Chorus 1
I heard cities fell to rubble
I heard wiseness grew on trees
but as I make my way forward
I wonder what's in store for me

Chorus 2
I've heard Daniel tamed the lions
I've heard Jesus calmed the sea
as I make my way forward
I wonder what's in store for me

Chorus 3
I heard Moses split the ocean
I heard Jesus died for me
and as I make my way onward
I wonder what's in store for me

Karl Smitherman ©  2009 published 2012

The song doesnt generate an answer but it gives us the options to choose from in life, do we simply relish in the bad or do we live our lives aware and through God?

No comments:

Post a Comment