Saturday 7 July 2012

The Bells and the Waves

I've been questioning myself whether to put this song up for ages because it speaks very strongly and in some ways arrogantly of my own views. I don't want to force any of my views or opinions on others but like other songs this song is just another scenario (or emotional experience) that I have a connection to. I apologise for any offence.
The song is half romantic and half tragic, it starts with the narrator standing at a wedding, they feel happy for the bride and bridegroom but there is a twinge of sadness in that they were unable to marry within a church because of their sexual orientation (told you it was intense). There is sadness entwined throughout the song in that the narrator wanted to be married within a church, although at times there are moments of bliss where they speak of their wedding on the beach. The narrator then goes onto say how they wish they had a choice in making the decision in where they could 'marry'. For the record I am not married nor have I ever danced on a beach...well not romantically and fully clothed (JOKES!!) and I happen to have some very good Christian friends and attend church and have never been made to feel unwelcome in any way, the majority of them are good to the bone so this song is not meant to cause any offence whatsoever and I'm truly sorry if I do.
Notes 'The Bells and the Waves' mention two song's 'As Man and Woman we were made' a traditional wedding hymn which I suppose in this song is seen as rubbing salt in the wound and 'A Nightingale sang in Berkeley Square' is an old wartime song, it's absolutely beautiful. So I hope this is not too far for any of you, those that know me should understand those that don't may not, but when you're down and troubled...give a little whistle!!

p.s. keep an eye on previous songs written as I often change them if I think they can be improved.

Verse 1
The aisle dressed in dried roses, dim
Light dances along the stained panes.
The Hillsong begins, the crowd stands to sing
'As Man and Woman we were made'

Bridge
And all I can do is stare at the wall
Blinking back a mind full of dreams,
I'm happy for you that much is true
But darling it could have been me.

Chorus
Well our first dance was down by the ocean,
The love just as true as I see today,
The marble floor replaced by the sea foam
And the sound of the bells replaced by the waves

Verse 2
Since I was young I dreamed of the alter
Since I was young I knew where I'd stand
And the kingdom of stone for my dreams did falter
For it wouldn't unite us both hand in hand

Bridge
And all I can do is gaze round the room
Knowing for now it's the way,
My cross on my chain, I always had faith,
It's faith that will change it some day

Chorus
Well our first dance was down by the ocean,
Swaying along to 'A Nightingale Sang...'
With my first love and a lifetime devotion
And the sound of the bells were replaced by the waves


Chorus
Well our first dance was down by the ocean,
As we two became one in our own way
Well I feel the change and I hope it will come soon
So that there's a choice between the bells and the waves

Tag
Twirling and swirling over the sand dunes
And the sound of the bells were drowned by the waves

Karl Smitherman © 2012 published 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment