Thursday 18 September 2014

Molly and the Boys

I've been quiet a while, I know. I apologize, I've been busy working in the restaurant trying to scrape enough money together for my debut EP. I've finally cut my days down (God forbid the rent goes up anymore) and am enjoying the free life and trials of a singer-songwriter. Isn't that how it should be, hone the art?

I've spent a lot of time working on my debut EP. The good news is the photo shoot is done and the music was sent off for mastering yesterday. I can't believe it's been three years in the making, everyone working on the project also have full time jobs and other projects to work on so naturally time was eaten before our eyes.

Alex Paton produced the EP and has spent many hours working on it, he arranged the music and many of the sessions. Extremely talented and very easy to work with, what more could you want for a debut?

Molly and the Boys is the title song, based upon the term 'Molly Boys'. The name was given to homosexual men in the 18th Century, who if ever discovered were often executed (check out the poem Molly Exulted). At the time there were 'safe' houses or more commonly, coffee houses which were populated by homosexual men. These buildings later became referred to as Molly Houses, the most celebrated being owned by a lady named Mother Clap.

The idea for the song came after returning to a visit from the British Museum. I poured out my pennies on a book titled A Little Gay History: Desire and Diversity across the World (Parkinson, R.B. and Smith, K). I truly recommend it, the authors have collected artifacts in the museum and describe the homosexual meaning behind them. I had never even heard of the term Molly Boy until finding it there and after a little research decided that it would make a good basis for a song.

In the song Molly became the Mother Clap figure and runs a safe house for homosexual men where they can escape the pressures of 18th Century Britain. I truly became fond of the Molly character I was creating, basing her image upon the 17th Century actress Nell Gywn.

The song was the most recent track wrote for the EP and since being added has altered the theme and concept.





















Photography by Jessamine Cera (the almost love of my life)

For those patient enough to get this far, I thought I'd throw in one of the images which we considered for the EP cover, later we decided that it was too posed so chose another. The song was inspiration for the cover, here I am in Molly's bar with all my trimmings.


Verse 1
In a little winding alley at the bottom of the town
There's a dim lit ale house where the blinds are drawn down,
There's a piano in the corner which is flat a note or two
and a diamond chandelier to send you swirling around the room.

There's an air about the places, you wouldn't disagree
That the static down the hall builds up your energy,
The doors are painted red and they flirt a golden trim,
You won't want to leave once they've let you in.

Chorus
Molly say's "come in" as she sports a head or curls.
Molly knows the ways to send you spinning around the world.
You'll slide her a twenty and an extra ten for the joy
and will leave the place sent off with love from Molly and the Boys.

Verse 2
Molly's boys are smiles and they're matter of fact,
If you're over 6'2" leave your shirt out back.
Their's one for every arm but none they say are cheap.
When you've been there once you're there twice a week.

The chapel's upstairs with the four post as the alter,
You can 'marry' him all night until the sun tell's you to call her.
Stay clear of Shane and Brice, Molly has their hands tied
But a lucky game of cards and the chance is in the pile.


Chorus
Molly say's "come in" as she sports a head or curls.
Molly knows the ways to send you spinning around the world.
You'll slide her a twenty and an extra ten for the joy
and will leave the place sent off with love from Molly and the Boys.

Mid 8
Molly has a way with the wicked worded,
A way to send you hope when the day's been hurting,
A cask of ale and a hit from the tin
Then another round before the night begins.


Chorus
Molly say's "come in" as she sports a head or curls.
Molly knows the ways to send you spinning around the world.
You'll slide her a twenty and an extra ten for the joy
and will leave the place sent off with love from Molly and the Boys.



Karl Smitherman © 2014


If you want regular updates on my music please follow either my Facebook page, Twitter profile, Youtube page or my Instagram. You can write to me at romanibeaumusic@yahoo.co.uk or through Facebook.
Facebook- Romani Beau
(https://www.facebook.com/pages/Romani-Beau/112478882142278?ref=hl)
Twitter- @RomaniMusic
Instagram- romanibeaumusic
Blog- Blogger: A life in lyrics...so far
Youtube- Romani Beau
New website coming soon...

2 comments:

  1. Good to see your career is proceeding nicely, Karl. Give my regards to Jess next time you see her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-) I shall do just that!

    ReplyDelete