Sunday 13 May 2012

Precious

If not for recently ‘Precious’ was one of the most intense affairs I have suffered with lovelorn, the song has had 2 years of waiting to be written, I only wrote it about 2 months ago, but I find that during periods of intense emotion I will sometimes go numb, it's not till after the experience I am able to examine my emotions to write the song. However, by intense emotion I really do mean extreme!!! I've only ever gone numb twice but it doesn't last at all long.

People often ask me why I have so much pride in my appearance; they tend not to say it so politely it's more like "How long does it take you to do your hair? don't you get bored?" or "Why'd you wear make-up?" I've never told anyone the real reason, this is because there is not just one reason but a series of events, firstly we never had much money or proper decent clothes growing up as mentioned before we often were send hand-me-downs from our cousins, so when my student loan came through I blew it on clothes. Growing up I always wanted to have the latest trends to feel good, but we couldn't afford it. Secondly much to my discomfort in admitting this (knowing my brother's will get a kick) my brothers were always perceived as the better looking children (yes I noticed all the sly remarks from people lol). However it was my affair with unrequited love which pushed it to extremes, from this I made the major jump from level 1 to 10.

Even now when my brother Craig goes back home to Mum he grasses me up to her, showing her my pictures on Facebook, ones where I look a little drag like (I'm not a drag! they are far to flawless and extreme). Peoples remarks are "Why does he do that?" or "Oh you look better without it" I think they are merely concerned. I can't say I am either proud or sheepish about how I look, it just is.

Precious

Verse 1
They say that I'm too precious for these things
fancy clothes as silver rings
and they say that I'm too precious to be tainted by
my painted face and coloured dye

Chorus
If I'm so precious through and through
then why'd you go break my heart in two
hand-me-downs they were never enough
to cover up how you broke me up

Verse 2
So I gave away all that I was
in exchange for a bit of hope,
no one could see past my facade
of all the hurt and hell I paid

Chorus 2
No one guessed, no one knew
I made the game, I changed the rules
to cover up this lovers bluff
of how you went and broke me up

Mid 8
I tried to give you this heart of mine
I'll keep on trying till I leave this world behind
If I keep on loving you will I find
some morning when I wake that you will be mine?

Chorus 3
What a way to live a life
behind a veil of shame and lies
but sometimes I wonder is it really enough
cover up from when you broke me up

Tag
Sometimes I wonder is it really enough
cover up from when you broke me up

Karl Smitherman © 2012 published 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment