Saturday 19 May 2012

Dainty Daffodil

The story behind this song is so soppy. I wrote it for my four year old brother Teddy. The title came to me when I had had a week back home and me and my Mum were walking Teddy to nursery before I made way for the train station. As we were ambling along the close knitted houses Teddy was pointing out every daffodil he could find, he would scream 'daffodil'. There is always that twinge of sorrow when leaving home for university. At that moment I decided I wanted to write a lullaby for my youngest brother. The overall message of the song explains how no matter how alone one may feel, they are never truly alone for there are family, friends and God!  The second verse warns against the dangers of the world, perhaps the loss of innocence growing up. However it grasps onto the story of Narcissus. Narcissus is a character in Greek mythology, he found his reflection in a pool and fell in love with himself (he was extremely handsome...as I would know), he was unable to leave his reflection so died starring at himself. They say where his body lay grew a daffodil, hence why the plant is sometimes called Narcissus, and why I thought to mention it in this song. When listening to old folk songs a lot of the time you'd hear beauty being described as fair skin and golden hair. My brother has both of these qualities which made it all the better as it gave the song an authentic vibe. The lullaby is only short and simple, but this is how I like songs to be.

A meadow is a world of a place to a dainty daffodil,
One could be stricken by fear when standing in those fields,
Loneliness has its cure this is what I’m told,
A flower growing wild will never grow alone

The world is cruel and the depth of the pool will surely lure you in,
Whence in turn a dilly will grow a dilly daffodil,
Don’t be fooled by the waters return, not the image that it shows,
The mind is only thin so we will help you grow

I give you skin like a petal so soft and hair just as gold
A flower will never be lost it will always have a home
Rest your head upon my brow and dream of the mysteries untold
Place your burdens on me now you will never grow alone

Loneliness has a cure this is what I’m told,
A flower growing wild will never grow alone

Karl Smitherman © 2011 published 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment