Sunday 16 September 2012

The Stage

I've realised reading back on the blog that many of the topics have been utterly depressing so firstly would like to apologise if I have made you feel suicidal at any point. Today's song was originally meant to be a joke song between me and my friend. The song came about because whenever we would go down town for our regular coffee fixes we happened to stumble across the same man...literally without fail!! He is always dressed in his finery and swaggers up and down the highstreet. I have no idea where he goes, however, one day me and my friend were discussing what it is we believe he does and I had this image of him wanting to be a famous performer on the West End and having never received his big break strolls up and down the town in his most expensive clothes hoping some talent scout would find him and lead him to fame, and from there I wrote the song based on what I imagine his life to have been like.

I was so proud of this song once it was written because I thought at least I'd have one song in my set list which wasn't about me and which would have a funny story to tell. However reading the song back a few weeks later I realised that I have probably pretty much predicted my own future!! I already 'doll' myself up and ponce around the town, soon will be the failing of my career and I never tend to settle with child because of reasons of which the majority of people can guess!! and I also used to sing to people in the school playground before my Mum stopped me for embarrassing my brothers...that's what you get when your repertoire is Celine Dions 'My heart will go on' and the Spice Girl catalogue.

Luring myself out of my depression I honestly believe anyone can make it in what they want to achieve, I've come to learn and have yet to take action in putting your neck on the line and push yourself every step of the way, no matter how many bricks you shit!! For anyone who is interested and for those that ain't I am recording some songs at the moment for some EPs, some have already been written up in the blog, they are 'Gypsy', 'Prettiest Thing in Town', 'In the Lap of the Mountain', 'Man of Kent' and 'Into the Night' if you have a moment please read back on past posts you may find yourself laughing at my misfortunes which will then make your day!!

Here's a quick story which will confirm my theory of the poor man. One evening once the song was written I was walking home at about 11 at night and saw him dancing along the street miming some song to himself. This is the Gods honest truth but we gotta love the dreamers!!

Verse 1
When I was a child I used to pretend
That the sun was my spotlight, the stage was the shed.
I'd climb to the top, though my knees were grazed
I didn't care, I belonged to the stage.

I'd pick and I'd sing my favourite hymn
When someone would walk by, the louder I'd sing.
I'd act out a play which I'd memorized for days,
I knew some day they'd take me to the stage.

Build
I dreamed of the lights and I dreamed of the stage,
though it never took of the dream it still stayed...

Chorus
Now I walk round the town day after day
In my finest of clothes, in my brightest of gowns.
Hoping someone will say you're right for the part
I will give you the fame, follow me to the stage.

Verse 2
No I never married, I hadn't the time
And I never settled with no children of mine.
I wanted such greatness and someday I knew
That the harder I worked then my dreams would come true.

Build
My reflection withered from the times they've made me fall
With all the auditions saying it's you we will call...

Chorus

Now I walk round the town day after day
In my finest of clothes, in my brightest of gowns.
Hoping someone will say you're right for the part
I will give you the fame, follow me to the stage.


Karl Smitherman © 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment