Wednesday 27 June 2012

Forgiven

Here is another song which is based on the old English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh ballads. I've just penned this song distracting myself once again from uni work. The song speaks about someone who has been left by their lover (traditional subject), the original feeling of betrayal (verse 1) has been replaced by forgiveness (Chorus 1). They then urge their lover to return back to them (verse 2) before they die (Chorus 2). The final part of the chorus suggests that no matter the circumstance even if their lover doesn't return they shall still forgive them for leaving in the first place. The normal font is the verse, the build is italics and the bold font is the chorus.
The concept of the song is that the moon shines its light depending on the mood of the narrator, for example when the moon is bright the narrator is happy, when it has a petty glow the person is sad, in this case when the light shines through a cloud there is a ray of hope and when the moon doesn't shine the narrator has passed.

Verse 1
I thought I cut you out my life a long time ago,
When I threw stones at the stars in the sky and hoped they would fall
'Cos I wished on many a star, hung my heart on the moon
Even though you're so far, I still wish for you.

Chorus
I sometimes swear the moon shines on the mood I'm given,
Right now there's a break in the cloud which shows that you're forgiven,
Come back to me and I'll make your life worth living,
I threw the stars in the sky again to show that you're forgiven

Verse 2
When you left I thought the world would die but the sun still sets,
So I'll send the ships at high tide for you to collect,
I don't want no gifts or jewels, what would I do with them
I've only asked for you that's all, darling don't forget

Chorus
I've always said the moon shines on the mood I'm given,
So when the moon forgets to shine you'll know I'm no longer living,
And if I ever go before you have made the decision,
I'll send a star to you far below to show that you're forgiven.

Karl Smitherman © 2012 published 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment